Robert R. Axenfeld, Esq.
2001 Market Street, Suite 2500
Philadelphia, PA 19103
West Chester, PA
535 N. Church St, Suite 304
West Chester, PA 19380
Robert has been recognized for his outstanding legal work by being named to the Super Lawyers list for the past three years. This prestigious accolade is awarded to only 5% of attorneys in each state and is based on a peer-review process that evaluates lawyers on various factors, including their professional achievements and community involvement.
Robert has also been recognized for his exceptional legal work by being nominated as “Three Best Rated” for patent attorneys in Philadelphia since 2017.
These honors reflect Robert’s commitment to providing his clients with top-quality legal representation and his dedication to excellence in his field.
Robert R. Axenfeld, Esq.
Robert is the founding member of Axenfeld Law Group, LLC, bringing over 30 years of experience advising clients in matters related to intellectual property and technology law. His areas of expertise include trademark and brand protection, patent protection and counseling, intellectual property strategies, and portfolio development, as well as intellectual property disputes in federal court and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). He also has extensive experience in intellectual property licensing and technology transactions.
Robert is federally licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and has successfully prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent and trademark applications for a diverse range of businesses across various industries. He has also litigated intellectual property and technology cases in federal courts throughout the country, as well as administrative disputes before the PTAB and TTAB.
Prior to starting Axenfeld Law Group, Robert served as in-house counsel to Unisys Corp. and Lucent Technologies Inc. (Bell Labs). Additionally, he clerked as an extern for the Honorable Alan D. Lourie, Circuit Judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Robert is the sole inventor of the precursor to “airplane mode” on mobile devices and holds two U.S. Patents for his inventions. Outside of work, he is a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and enjoys coaching his children in soccer.
Robert has achieved several notable successes throughout his career, including:
- Successfully defeating a motion for preliminary injunction against printing-control companies in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (EDPA). The denial of preliminary injunction was upheld on Appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Uncovering discovery in a patent-infringement case before the EDPA, which led to a nearly $1.2 million-dollar sanction against a plaintiff for witness tampering in a parallel trade-secret case in the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Missouri. Robert served as lead counsel in the patent-infringement case.
- Successfully defeating a trademark-infringement action against an author and radio host in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
LL.M. in Trial Advocacy from Temple University Beasly School of Law
J.D. from the University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center)
B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Temple University.
Associations and Bar Admissions
Admitted to practice law in:
• Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
• District of Columbia;
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
• United States District Court for the District Delaware (pro hac vice)
• United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (pro hac vice)
• United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia (pro hac vice)
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (pro hac vice)
Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (Registered-Patent Attorney)
Member of the Chester County Bar Association
Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association